Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

City Center - "Cetate" District

foto cetate-opris-smallThe Cetate district, the city center of Timişoara has always been the “heart”, a cultural, administrative and political center of the entire city. With at least eight centuries ago, here appeared the first city, an original core that initiated the development of Timişoara.


The Fortress has grown ever since the 12th century. A major boost in its evolution was the building of the castle by the Hungarian king Carol Robert of Anjou between 1307 and 1315. This castle’s “successor” is the Huniade Castle, which today houses the Banat Museum. In 1552, the city of Timişoara was occupied by the Turks. Only in 1716 the Austrian imperial army, led by Prince Eugen of Savoy, managed to free the city.

 

The old Ottoman fortress was demolished and a new one was
cart cetate smallbuild, star-shaped, inspired largely by the Vauban fortresses. Protected by the walls, the “inner city” emerged, with a rigorous streets’ system, very modern for that time. This system is still kept almost entirely, despite the fact the city’s defensive walls were demolished after 1892.

In the Cetate district, especially in Unirii Square and Libertăţii Square, many Baroque buildings dating from the eighteenth century are still preserved.

In the early twentieth century, while demolishing the fortifications, numerous 1900s style buildings were added. The very elegant Secession palaces with a great architectural value give Victoriei Square its dominant note. The whole urban ensemble is typical of the 1900s in Europe. In the city center there are also monumental buildings with neo-Romanian elements.

Top attractions in the city centre

The Cetate district of Timişoara unites historical monuments in a fascinating and original combination.

Libertăţii Square

The Garrison Command

The Mary-Nepomuk Monument

Old City Hall

The Commander House or the “Military Casino”

The Public Hospital

The Misericordian monks’ Church

The Cetate Synagogue

Nikolaus Lenau High School

The former "Cafe Spieluhr"

The Serbian Orthodox Episcopal Church

The Serbian Orthodox Episcopacy

The Orthodox Community of Cetate House

The Former Discount Bank

Solderer House

Unirii Square

The Holy Trinity statue

The former inn "La Cei Şapte Principi Electori”

The Canons’ Houses

The Catholic Cathedral – The Dome

The Baroque Palace

Salamon Brück House

The Dicasterial Palace

The Lutheran Evangelical Church

The Theresia Bastion

The National Bank of Romania

The Post Office Palace

The Prefecture

The Faculty of Medicine

Kimmel Villa

“Carmen Sylva” Pedagogic High School

Ciobanu Palace

The Civic Park

Mercy Palace

Deschan Palace or Scherter House

“The House with the Iron Tree”

Roman Catholic Episcopal Palace

“La Trompetist”

Timiş County Department of Culture

Emmer Palace

St. Gheorghe Square

The General Headquarters Casern

The Inferior Salvatorian Franciscan Church

Former Sisters of Notre Dame Monastery and School

The Huniade Castle

The street lamp

Victoriei Square

Palace of Culture

Löffler Palace

Former Palace of the Banks of Banat

Weiss Palace

Lloyd Palace

Neuhausz Palace

Merbl Palace

Dauerbach Palace

The Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral

The Piarist complex

 

 

 

 

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  March 2017  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
  
  

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Vremea

Mostly cloudy

2°C

Timișoara

Mostly cloudy

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna