Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

The Roman-Catholic Episcopacy Palace

palatul episcopiei ro-cat-smallAddress

4, Augustin Pacha St.


Dating, names and historical functions

Under construction since 1743.

Between 1746 and 1747 appear on the city plans the northwest and southeast corners of the present day building.

In 1748 – the whole plan of the building appears.

In 1752 – the construction was not finished yet.
It was called the “New Chamber House” and housed the poarta baroc-sm“Accounting Service”.

In 1758 – it was called the New Provincial House, the Catholic bishop already lived in the northeast corner, having otherwise administrative functions.

Since 1783, the permanent residence of the Catholic Bishop.


Architectural style and uniqueness aspects

The Roman-Catholic Episcopacy Palace is one of the most representative Baroque buildings in Timişoara.

The shapes marking the roof on the building’s northwest and southwest corners are masterpieces of Baroque architecture.

The Baroque portal with Rococo elements, which emphasizes the building’s entrance on Pacha St is remarkable.

episcopie-placa intrare-small


The Catholic Episcopacy of Timişoara is considered the successor of the episcopacy of Cenad, established since 1030. The first bishop was the Gerhard de Sagredo, who was killed by pagan rebels in Buda in 1046; he was sanctified, and since then the mountain that rises steeply above the Danube in Budapest is named after him: “Gellérthegy” (mountain of Gerhard).

The most difficult period for this diocese was during the Turkish occupation. After the establishment of the Austrian government in 1716 and the arrival of many Catholic settlers, the house was moved to Timişoara. Between 1716 and 1918 monks from several Catholic orders arrived in Timişoara – Jesuits, Franciscans, Piarists, Misericordians, Sisters of Notre Dame, Salvatorians; these orders had a great influence on the city’s development in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, some (the Salvatorians) being active until today.

A second difficult period began with Communism. Catholic orders were banned, the bishop Pacha was imprisoned and the episcopacy itself was disbanded – until 1990, it functioned as simple deanship (archpriestship). It was reactivated after 1990; some of the episcopacy’s former properties, scattered through the entire city, have been retroceded in the last years.

Typical of the Catholic Episcopacy of Timişoara is the extremely heterogeneous ethnic composition of the faithful: Hungarians, Germans, Romanians, Croats, Slovaks, Bulgarians, Czechs, Italians, etc.

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  November 2019  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
    
 

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna