Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Former Public Hospital

spitalul civil-smallIs known as the Old Public Hospital, the City Hospital (“Bürgerspital”). Till 2015 here was the Dermatology University Clinic in function, which has moved to a new location, on Daliei street.

Address: 3 – 5 Mărăşeşti St., Sf. Ioan St.

Dating: 

1744 - 1745 – the Public Hospital starts to be built
1757 – the building part with a ground and a first floor is finished (Mărăşeşti St.)
1849 – bombed during the siege, rebuilt in mid-nineteenth century Architectural style Provincial Baroque. The wavy frontons of the Mărăşeşti Street building body portals, with undulated shapes typical to the Baroque visual language, are singled out.

spital civil2-smallLegends: 

It is said that it was the first large public hospital in the "Austro-Hungarian Empire". There is a slight problem: officially, “literally”, there was never a state bearing such a name. The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, as the dual state was in reality named, was officially made of two states – the Austrian Empire and Kingdom of Hungary, and it was proclaimed only in 1867 (the building already existed for about 120 years) and lasted only 41 years, until 1918!

Also, it was stated, particularly by some half-learned authors from the communist period, that between 1716 and 1718, the Banat was annexed by the Austrian Empire or by the Austro-Hungarian Empire. But such names are anachronisms, because states with such names did not exist in 1718. It is like using for the same period the name “Soviet Union” (for the Russian Empire).
In 1716, only the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation (Imperium Romanum Sacrum) existed.
The head of the House of Habsburg, Carol VI, was emperor of this empire. But Hungary, Transylvania and Banat have never been part of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.
In 1718, the Banat, with the capital in Timişoara, was constituted as a province, a country belonging to the Crown and the Vienna Aulic Chamber, therefore to the House of Habsburg, outside the Holy Roman Empire.

The Austrian Empire, a part of which the Banat was, was proclaimed only in 1804.
In 1867, as a result of some lost wars, the Habsburg dynasty reached a compromise with the representatives of the Hungarians. At the latter’s insistence, the new formation was called the “Austro-Hungarian monarchy”, and not the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The new formation consisted of two states: the Austrian Empire, in which the monarch Franz Joseph was emperor-king (i.e. Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia, etc.) and the Kingdom of Hungary (in which the same sovereign was the King of Hungary).

Everything concerning common matters (the army, foreign affairs and finances) was “imperial and royal”. What concerned only Austria was “imperial-royal” (without “and”), and what concerned only Hungary was entitled “Hungarian Royal”.

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  August 2019  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627 

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna