Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

The Baroque Palace

palatul baroc smallThe Baroque Palace, The Governor’s Palace – The Art Museum

Current name

The Baroque Palace

Addess

1Unirii Square, 6 Mercy Street

Date, names and historical functions

It included the building of the existing Mining Office in the north-west corner in 1734. In the same year, the War Treasury was located on 6 Mercy Street.

Between 1746 and 1758 only 2/3 of the current northern side were built. In the eastern part of the nowadays building there was a garden.

In 1752, here operated the Chamber House.

In 1754, the building housed the home of the Governor of the “Country Administration” (of “the Banat Province”).

In 1779 – the County House (probably in its current form).

Between 1848 and 1860 – the seat of the “Voivodeship of Serbia and Banat of Temeschwar” (temporary pending completion of the Dicasterial Palace).

Starting with 1860 – again the County House

Between 1885 and 1886 the attic and iron work are rebuilt, architect Jacques Klein.

Since 1919, Prefecture of Timis-Torontal County.

Mid twentieth century – Agronomic Institute.

Starting with 1979, restored as a museum, architects Şerban and Doina Sturdza.

Since 1984 – Art Museum

December 21, 2006, opening as the Banat Art Museum (actually, the restoration lasted 27 years and it is not currently 100% complete).

Architectural style

Austrian Baroque, with some Rococo details. The additions made in the nineteenth century were removed during the restoration of the twentieth century. The ground floor is treated as bossage foundation, which holds the first and second floors. The floors have a façade with pilasters on two levels which give rhythm (forming the so-called “colossal order” = multi-leveled), with Corinthian-style capitals, forming a composition typical to the Viennese architecture of the Baroque palaces of the eighteenth century.

Premieres, uniqueness aspects

The large hall upstairs hosted festivities occasioned by the visit of emperors, kings and prelates, but also of some important men of culture (as the musicians Franz Liszt, Johannes Brahms, Pablo Sarasate, George Enescu, etc.).

The interiors are very stylish and well restored – especially the stairs. You can see them when visiting the museum collections. The basement is also renovated, preserving here an eighteenth century indoor fountain.

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  September 2018  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
       1  2
  3  4  5

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Vremea

Sunny

15°C

Timișoara

Sunny

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna