Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Stefania Palace

f-14-palatul stefania-smallThe Ştefania Palace, a former  Municipality Tenement House is situated in  1 Romanilor Square – 2 Ştefan cel Mare St.

It was  built between 1909 – 1910, architect László Székely.

The building’s composition is dominated by the roofs’ large playful volumes. They are inspired by the elongated silhouettes of medieval towers, especially by towers from the Gothic period. The ornaments correspond to the 1900s style movements. Some of them have geometric, squared shapes inspired by the latest movements, the most evolved of that style. The building is also called the “House with Monkeys”, because at the top of the second floor, under the perch, are mounted consoles that support pillars on which there are alternately placed statues representing bears and gorillas.

Built so that the rent proceeds could serve the “City Asylum”, the building, which also housed Fabric’s “Citizens’ Club” (of course, for the wealthy citizens), was sold in 1918 to Rudolf Totis, general manager of “Industria Lânii S.A.”. He named the building “Ştefania Palace” in his wife’s honor.

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  October 2019  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
 
   

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna