Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

The Turbins

 

turbinele-smallThe Bega Micro - Hydroelectric Power Station, called also "The City Turbins" is situated on Uzinei St. / F.Chopin St. It was built in 1909, architect  László Székely.

Up to 1907, numerous water branches, supplied either by the Bega main channel, or by the Behela and Suboleasa secondary channels were crossing the Fabric district. In the past, they actuated the wheels of the watermills and manufactures located in the Fabric district. The watermills dams kept the underground water level very high. Unfortunately, all basements were affected by dampness of walls. The channel used for bringing the construction and fire wood as well as the wood warehouse located between the Fabric and Cetate district impeded the proper development of these two districts as well as their union after the demolishment of the fortifications.

In 1902, in order to rectify such shortcomings, the city chief engineer, Mr.  Emil Szilárd draws up a project which stipulates the dig of a single navigable channel, the actual channel, between the Petru Maior Sqaure and the Walkway between the Parks. The channel has been built of concrete, as the three new bridges located in the Fabric district, from 1907 to 1910.

The water was to be concentrated at the entry in the Fabric district in order to actuate the turbines of a hydropower electric station, raised in 1909. the water, naturally coming from the Bega river, without requiring any costs, supplied electricity not only for the appropriate function of the two watermills but also for the entire city, instead of the previous electricity station, which was functioning based on coal. This fuel implied greater costs than the water! So, this was the first hydroelectric power station built on the current territory of Romania.

The project of the new hydroelectric power station has been drawn up by the "city architect" (the equivalent of the current title, respectively "chief architect"), Mr. Székely. Some researchers think that the assembly of the "Turbines" represents the most valuable industrial architectural building, complying with the style of the 1900, raised in Timişoara City. The architect used stylized and abstract design elements, typical for the language of the Wiener Sezession trend.

 

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  August 2019  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627 

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna