Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Former General Headquarters Barracks

Former General Headquarters Barracks



1 Bolyai St., 4 Telbisz St.

Date, names and historical functions

In 1746 to 1747 a two-storey barracks existed here, partly in development.

In 1758 – it is mentioned as the General Headquarters Barracks.

The east side was still not completed in 1761.

After the artillery bombardment in 1849, built the current building was built, the General Headquarters Barracks, a development finished by 1859.

Currently it houses apartments upstairs, and some businesses downstairs.


Architectural style

Austrian barracks style, massive buildings with a ground floor and two levels, built between 1850 and 1860. The visual expression corresponds to the Romantic Movement – under de cornice on the top floor there is a neo-Roman frieze.


Uniqueness aspects

In this building lived, as a young lieutenant, János Bolyai, who discovered on November 3, 1823 the “fundamental formula of the first non-Euclidean geometry”.

Under the first floor balcony, on the façade facing 1 Bolyai St., on the middle console, the Habsburg double-headed eagle was carved in natural stone. It was removed by chisel, but one can still see its figure.


Search the site



<<  September 2021  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate



For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna