Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Former "Cafe Spieluhr"

muzeul memorialul revolutiei smallName

Former Spieluhr Café


The building appears to have completed already on the 1758 plan. In 1828, it belonged to Ioan Stoianovici.

In the nineteenth century, it was rebuilt in the Neo-Baroque style.

The owner’s family lived upstairs, and downstairs there was the restaurant “Le Palatin”, with simple but good food, and which had the right to sell wine from its own production.

In the interwar period, here was Spieluhr Café, a favorite meeting place of Timişoara’s artists (and the intelligentsia in general); some of them lived or had their shops on these streets, others were officials from the institutions in the area: the city hall, the Banat Museum.

Until 2012 the building hosted the “Revolution Memorial” Museum. This has moved to a new location, (not far from here, Oituz str. nr. 2B).

During the time the museum was open here,  an ecumenical chapel was built here, with an original painting representing St. Ioan of Partoş (an Orthodox saint who lived in Banat; the Orthodox cathedral is dedicated to him) and St. Gerhard (Gerhard de Sagredo was the first bishop of the diocese of Cenad, precursor of the diocese of Timişoara; he was sanctified).


Search the site



<<  June 2021  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate



For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna